New Year’s has always inspired countless people to start healthier habits or to work on self-improvement goals. Some people may resolve to quit their vices and start addiction treatment, while others may be intent on maintaining a new sober lifestyle post-detox in the coming year. Whatever the motivation may be, aspiring to a drug and alcohol-free lifestyle is always something that will be the best option for a healthier future.
However, while it is an excellent first step, not all addictions can be managed simply by deciding to quit. Depending on the degree of physical dependence, it may be safer to look for a trusted rehab facility to provide medical supervision during withdrawal. If you or a loved one is looking for addiction treatment in Ohio, Vertava Health Ohio provides a wide array of programs and services that can help you on your journey to sobriety. Contact us at 850.374.5331 to learn about what we can offer.
How To Keep Sober New Year’s Resolutions
Keeping New Year’s resolutions can be difficult, and it’s not always just a matter of discipline or willpower. The same can be said of attempting to get sober, regardless of when one starts. With this in mind, here are a few tips on how to keep a sober New Year’s resolution:
- Major life changes are always difficult, so in order not to get too overwhelmed, take it one day at a time. Addiction is a lifelong condition, and a daily commitment to sobriety will result in long-term success.
- Start new, sober hobbies to fill in the time that used to be taken up by alcohol or substance abuse. New activities may also lead to new, sober peer groups that can be a source of connection and support.
- It is possible to go overboard with making plans and trying out new things. Learn to make time for self-care and be sure to prioritize rest and relaxation.
- Relapses are a normal part of recovery and do not spell the end of sobriety. Learning how to get past slip-ups is a useful skill to have in the struggle against addiction.
- Reach out to support groups, like local 12-step chapters. This may also be an avenue for sober socialization.
- It is important to remain vigilant and avoid becoming too complacent. Regardless of how long someone has been sober, it is always best to avoid tempting situations.
Suggestions for a Sober New Year’s Resolution
One pitfall when trying to set up any New Year’s resolution is being too vague or general. This can lead to having goals that are too difficult or grand to achieve, which can be disheartening. That’s why it is important to create resolutions that are specific, measurable, and realistic. Here are a few suggestions for sober New Year’s resolutions:
- Try to achieve 30 minutes of exercise per day. This can be as simple as taking a 30-minute walk around the neighborhood or even trying out a new sport such as wall climbing or cycling.
- Try to spend time with loved ones once a week. Depending on the situation, this can be going out together or scheduling a weekly call. Invite friends to try new activities like a cooking or pottery class.
- Strive to practice mindfulness by writing in a journal every day. This can also help with understanding one’s emotions, triggers, and coping strategies.
- Explore a new sober hobby that can be done alone or with friends. Filling up one’s schedule with healthy, sober activities can positively contribute to recovery.
Get Addiction Treatment at Vertava Health Ohio
At Vertava Health Ohio, we believe that any time is a good time to get over addiction. Our friendly, experienced staff are always prepared to help patients through their recovery journeys by providing the right guidance and support for each stage of treatment. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, contact us at 850.374.5331 today to learn how we can help.